How can I keep my vulva and vagina clean?
- When showering or bathing, wash your vulva with warm water and mild or unscented soap. Make sure the water isn’t too hot and remember to rinse off all the soap.
- Separate your labia and let the warm soapy water clean all around the clitoral hood and between your labia. This will rinse off any secretions that get stuck in between skin folds.
- Rinse completely and pat dry your vulva with a soft dry towel.
In between baths or showers, you may wish to use a facecloth or a peri-care small plastic bottle filled with warm (not hot) water that squirtsto clean your vulva. This plastic water bottle is also good to use during your period. You can usually find them at your local pharmacy or dollar store for about $1-$3 dollars.
- While on your period, change your tampon/pad often.The vagina cleanses itself naturally. The cells in the vagina keep it at a normal pH so you should NEVER douche or use any sprays in your vagina (unless your health care provider prescribes it).
- Use mild soap and warm water to clean around the opening to your vagina. Do NOT place soap into your vagina.
Back to How to properly wash your yoni?